Monday, April 23, 2012

DIY tarnish remover

This sterling silver necklace was kept out in the open and mixed together with my brass and copper necklaces resulting in this heavy tarnish.  I've been looking for different ways to clean my jewelry and thought I'd share in my little experiment.



The first method I tried was the ever popular toothpaste rub.  All you need is toothpaste and water. Work toothpaste into a lather and then start gently rubbing chain, making sure not to tangle them. The chain looks brighter already!

Pros: Got rid of most of the tarnish, nice and shiny, accessible 
Cons: Doesn't get rid of all tarnish, would take too long for multiple pieces
I love this look though! A bit of oxidation is a yes for me :)

The second and last method used was a baking soda foil method.  
Items needed : baking soda, aluminum foil, dixie cup (pan or bowl might work better) and hot water

First line your cup/tray with the aluminum foil and set your jewelry on the foil.  You want your jewelry to touch the foil.  Sprinkle baking soda over jewelry, I used about a teaspoon and then add in the hot water.  Since the necklace I was cleaning had a pearl, I used hot tap water not the boiling water you would use if you only had metal components.  After a couple minutes take out and wash gently with water, you don't want any residue leftover..

afterwards buff gently with a clean cloth! This cloth was from an old tshirt that I cut. Buffing with the cloth really brought the shine back to the chain.

The result was kind of amazing!
Pros: works fast, easy to do, tarnish is gone
Cons: not quite sure if it's safe for all stones.. I've heard you shouldn't use this for turquoise jewelry.

I personally enjoy the look of slight oxidation in silver but it's nice to know that this super simple method will get that bright silver back :)


2 comments:

  1. I really love your shop! ♥

    http://lara-ira.blogspot.de/2012/05/hold-my-heart-its-beating-for-you.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete